SEED Fund: money for your business
The SEED Fund helps new UAL businesses grow. Apply for funding awards of up to £5,000.
Our 2019 scheme will be open for registrations in Oct/Nov 2018. Please check back for details.
The mentoring scheme is one of UAL's services to help our students embark on professional futures in the creative industries, find jobs, set up businesses, and sell their work. This scheme matches 2nd and 3rd years with experienced arts professionals, to gain one-to-one support and guidance over a 6-month period.
Who can apply?
The mentoring scheme is open to 2nd or 3rd year undergraduates at UAL, who would benefit from career insight, guidance and support. Careers and Employability receives funding to support to students who are the first in their family to go to University, therefore we have allocated a percentage of mentoring places to these students.
This scheme is part of a Careers and Employability programme aiming to promote equality on grounds of ethnicity, disability and social class. We particularly welcome applications from disabled students, students who are from Black, Asian and Minority ethnic backgrounds, and students whose parents/guardians did not undertake a university course.
Registrations for the next mentoring cohort will open in Autumn term 2018.
We will add a link to the online registration here.
Your steps into having a mentor:
1. When you submit your online registration form you will receive an email confirmation. (make sure you give us an email address that you check regularly).
2. We check your form to make sure that this scheme is right for you.
3. You will then be sent a link to sign up for a training event.
4. Once you have completed the training, we match each student with a mentor, and email this option (with their biography and website) to consider.
5. If you think this mentor match is not suitable you email us, and we have a conversation about this. In some cases, it may be possible to offer a second match.
6. You meet with your mentor at least 6 times, over 6 months (March to August).
If I register, will I definitely be part of the scheme?
In order to be matched with a mentoring partner, you have to complete the training first.
Every year a different group of students register for mentoring, with varying needs. We may not be able to find a match for each and every student who has completed the training - but we will certainly try to do so.
The University does not tolerate any form of bullying, harassment or violence. Any reports made by a mentor or mentee will be treated seriously and with sensitivity.
If you wish to raise a concern, please contact the Mentoring Coordinator in the first instance at email@example.com UAL students can also access confidential advice through the University’s Tell Someone service.
For more information visit: www.arts.ac.uk/tellsomeone
UAL undergraduates are welcome to join the Mentoring mailing list. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org, stating whether you are a 1st, 2nd or 3rd year student. (First year students will be contacted when they become eligible for professional mentoring).